I want to move into project management after a 10 year career in customer service. I have been in middle management and have also had opportunities to lead and be part of some projects, but nothing major. I also just got Prince2 certification (Foundation and Practitioner). I know I can’t just go out and start applying for PM jobs – I know I need to get a lot of practical experience before I can start apply for PM roles. I don’t mind starting at the bottom, can you please point me in the right direction?
Here are some ideas:
- Leverage your customer service experience. Look for project management related opportunities in the customer service field.
- Look for assistant PM roles, or other support roles in a Project Management Office (PMO).
- Do some project management work for a non-profit on a volunteer basis.
- Join your local PM professional organisation to network and volunteer.
- Get some good tool training e.g. Microsoft Project, or Primavera, and use that skill as a foot in the door.