For Microsoft Project training to be effective it needs to be integrated, applied, and enjoyable. By guiding participants through the construction and use of both sample and actual projects (from your workplace), we have found our training to be both productive, and well received. Other courses may show you how to find the product features – our course teaches you how use the features to produce meaningful results.
Who should take this Microsoft Project Best Practices 101 course?
This course is for anyone who intends to be involved in planning and/or controlling projects using Microsoft Project.
Where is this course offered?
The Microsoft Project Best Practices 101 course is offered on an open-enrollment basis at our Project Management Education Center in Bellevue/Seattle, WA, (which also serves Kirkland, Redmond, Renton, Everett, Federal Way, and Tacoma), as well as at our Project Management Education Center in Tucson, AZ (which also serves the Greater Phoenix area, Oro Valley, and Sierra Vista / Fort Huachuca), and other select locations such as Grand Cayman. We also provide it on an on-site basis anywhere in the world, and online using live instructors.
How does it work for live online Microsoft Project training?
Students log into two web conferencing platforms using either two screens and/or two devices (e.g. PC and phone). This allows the instructor to see the students’ screens as they work in MS Project, and the students to see both the live instructor and the presentation while working in Microsoft Project. Hard-copy manuals and texts are sent to you ahead of time.
MS Project Best Practices 101 Course Objectives
By the end of the course you will be able to:
- Enter tasks and create a Work Breakdown Structure (WBS) to capture the scope of your project
- Work with project calendars
- Link tasks together to create a network diagram that dynamically updates
- Utilize the Timeline view to summarize your schedule
- Use notes and hyperlinks to annotate your data
- Save a baseline and enter project progress info
- Utilize constraints and deadlines
- Format your data and print useful reports that highlight the important information
- Avoid the frustration of many novice users
Note that this training addresses the full Microsoft Project “traditional” desktop product, and not the reduced feature-set Project for the Web product.
MS Project Best Practices 101 Course Details
- Length: 8 hours.
- Style: This interactive course uses “Step by Step Microsoft Project” by Carl Chatfield, PMP, accompanied by Key Consulting PowerPoint presentations. Participants build projects using sample data, and then develop, and experiment with, their own project data.
- Texts: Participants receive a course participant’s manual, course textbook, and sample files.
- Format: Computer classroom. We will supply you with a laptop loaded with Microsoft Project if you take the course in one of our classrooms.
- Prerequisites: None, however we recommend you take Introduction to Project Management, or equivalent, to maximize the value of this course.
Microsoft Project Best Practices 101 Course Content
- Project management refresher
- Moving around and viewing data
- Creating a project
- Project calendars
- Scheduling modes
- Creating tasks
- Entering durations
- Modeling your Work Breakdown Structure (WBS)
- Creating your Network Diagram
- Adding notes and hyperlinks
- Formatting and printing
- The Timeline view
- Saving a baseline
- Entering basic progress information
- Fine tuning task relationships
- Constraints and deadlines
- Sorting, grouping and filtering
Microsoft Project Training Course Description (PDF)
Microsoft Project Best Practices 101 course outline, suitable for saving or printing.
Really well put together and practical! Great work, Key Consulting!
Cesia E –
Great course. Very thorough!
Joe S –
Great to have practical work on our own project.
Emily B –
Terry N –
I find this material very useful.
Elaine M –
I appreciate the booklet of slides. Excellent instructor and content. Great suggestions re: software for projects.
Amanda S –
Kevin is the best. Love attending his trainings.
Jon C –
This course was a great intro to MS Project. Kevin covered a lot of material but in a way that made it easily digested.
Richard Herran –
Scott Shenberger –
This was a fantastic class. I learned so much more about Project in this one class than I have in the last few years. Gave me more confidence with using Project.
Brandon C –
The course and the presenter kept my interest and exceeded my expectation.
Nicole J –
Thanks for offering such a useful course! The instruction was great but also having access to the workbook after the completion of the course will be helpful as well to refer back to.
Jemma K –
This was an amazing course. I loved having the personal attention to help me with learning the material. Thanks!
Nick M –
The training was well structured and Kevin communicated his clear subject matter expertise to the attendees. Truly a worthwhile 101 or refresher course for MS Project.
Jarod H –
Being a remote learning class having the two virtual meeting rooms at the same time was a brilliant idea. The students could see the instructors screen and the instructor could see the students screen. Fantastic!
Justin H –
Short, sweet, and to the point. Perfect for a crash course in MS Project.
Tris E –
Considering the limitation of time, Kevin covered a range of areas which allows someone to be interested and motivated to start using the software.
Kim M –
It was great,very helpful.
Sashi D –
Marlys D –
Excellent! I can go back and apply what I have learned.
Tom A –
Indira H –
Trevor N –
Thank you, nice training!
Dave F –
Very, very informative. Well paced and professional.
Donna B –
Instructor’s knowledge and real world examples were very helpful.
David M –
Gained a lot of useful information that will help us give ownership what they are wanting.
Josette W –
Very informative and useful.
Martha R –
Great instructor and class.
Debbie B –
Sharon M –
Great course/overview. Thanks!
Bob F –
Great course. Plan to enroll for 102.
Sonya S –
To the point and yet covered all the required basics.
Kyle F –
Very well structured and organized
Alisha R –
Great fast paced classes. Never boring. Great!
Marcela M –
I loved the PowerPoint slides. If we could focus more on our project and maybe have 1 or 2 people present them at the end, to see if the material learnt was applied?
Hendrik V –
Well structured and well organized. Very knowledgeable instructor.
Sheila L –
Many thanks for the training last Friday! I heard really positive feedback from everyone on our end and they are honestly looking forward to start working in Project after the training (instead of being intimidated by it).
Brooke B –
Great course. Extremely useful for my role.
Eden Z –
A lot of information.
Jenny M –
Great instruction; very helpful!
Angie F –
Good start to learn about setting up basic timelines in MSP2013. Thanks!
Charles R –
Ric R –
Charles P –
Company has used this training previously.
Ann G –
Pete S –
Randy M –
Very informative and useful. Would of liked to have another day. Looking forward to building a small project.
Jimmy W –
Great instruction and very insightful.